Construction of the engineering building intended for processing and
quality control of crystals for the XCELS facility was completed in September 2017.
Balancing and commissioning are currently under way.
The Workshop “Key Technological Issues in Construction and Exploitation of 100PW-class Lasers” within the framework of the project CREMLIN was held in July, 2017. The workshop was organized under the umbrella of the International symposium “Topical Problems of Nonlinear Wave Physics” (NWP-2017). The scope of the workshop covered, but was not limited to, the following topics:
- Physics of petawatt and multi-petawatt lasers
- Pump laser for final cascades of (parametrical) chirped pulse amplifiers
- Characterization of high power laser beams and pulses
- Increase of repetition rate of high power lasers
Special attention was given to the progress of the XCELS project and the significance of the international cooperation.
The total of 45 researchers made oral and poster presentations at the workshop but many more NWP-2017 participants took part in the workshop sessions and got acquainted with the CREMLIN project.
It was the second CREMLIN workshop. The first one devoted to applications of exawatt laser sources was held in July 2016 (see also www.xcels.iapras.ru/events.html, www.nwp.sci-nnov.ru/workshops.html, and www.fnp.sci-nnov.ru/workshop.html)
The XCELS road map features many goals and objectives. The recently attained objectives are:
- A high-voltage electronics building at the IAP RAS experimental site “Bezvodnoye” was commissioned. It will be used to operate the XCELS parametric amplification pump lasers.
- A new technological line for growing and processing large-aperture KDP crystals intended for manufacturing critical components of kilojoule nanosecond pump lasers of parametric amplifiers of petawatt pulses was put in operation.
- Works on the creation of an assembly section for manufacturing components for controlling the radiation of a kilojoule nanosecond pump laser (plasma electrode Pockels cell system) were completed.
- A target chamber with diagnostic equipment for experiments on the interaction of petawatt optical pulses with solid targets was created. Optimal thickness of targets for laser-plasma acceleration corresponding to the optical radiation contrast was determined experimentally.
- A large-aperture profilometer for surface quality control of precision optical elements was designed and constructed. The profilometer was delivered to RFNC-VNIIEF, where it will be tested and further used for the construction of kilojoule pump lasers of XCELS parametric amplifiers.
- A unique magnetic system that allows modeling a wide range of astrophysical problems was developed.
- A regenerative amplifier for the system forming reference radiation of pump lasers of XCELS parametric amplifiers was developed and tested.